Wednesday, July 8, 2009

* * NATURE OR NUTURE? * *

The C-Train was on its normal quiet hustle and bustle until the doors opened and a glass drinking bottle smashed into shards on the platform.

An ordinary man in a cranberry jacket, brown shoes, shirt and tie confronted the individual who threw the bottle.

She was African American girl about thirteen years old. Her head was perfectly round and her hair was matted and held tight by a small red elastic.

He touched her shoulder and told her that it was “wrong” and she proceeded to go off.

“Don’t hit me. You can’t tell me what to do. Your not my father…” Her mouth foamed obscenities.

“Why did you do that?” He asked.

Her curses never ebbed. She continued to justify her behavior and attack the ordinary man until he sighed and turned his back on her.

The man looked beside himself as the profanity continued to litter our collective ears.

The C-Train came to rest at the Columbus Circle station and the passengers stood restless waiting for the doors to open.

“I’m going to school.” She said ending her tirade, the doors opened and she stormed off the train.

Passengers poured onto the platform.

“Are you the guy who confronted the girl?” I said as I approached the man.

“Yes,” he said and vented his anger summing up the whole situation and proceeded to say, “…the whole subway should have blown up. “

“Despite its ugliness. I appreciate what you did in confronting her.”

The ordinary man walked away.

Darn right it was wrong. Teenage girl littering our environment not only with glass, but noise pollution to boot. Bombarding the subway and a man with her twisted justification. I would have like to have a civilized conversation with her parents.

However, intuition tells me that would be pointless.

“You are not alone.”


ACTUALIZE THIS!

No comments:

Post a Comment